Sunday, April 12, 2009

BANNED by Jim! Hilarious...


So, dear readers I've just been banned from posting to RedUser.com by none other than the CEO Jim Jannard himself for either "excessive truthiness" or for touching a raw nerve somehow. Granted, it's his sandbox and he can do whatever he wants, so I'm neither shocked nor dismayed, just amused, and a bit surprised given his usual willingness to withstand criticism. The discussion revolved around two recent studio features CHE and KNOWING, that were both shot with his gizmo, the Red One camera. 

Look for the discussion to continue over at cinematography.com and for a longer explanation of what may be behind all this here in time, if I learn more. Right now I'm too busy daydreaming about how this might be a PR coup for my blog..... ha ha.

I was trying to be as kind and deferential as I could but the subject at hand was an important one - two big budget studio features had just been released, and both directors had chosen to shoot with a new and radical camera system that has a goal of emulating, and rivaling or bettering the imagery made by 35mm film.  Personally, I think his camera is on the verge of delivering the goods on that promise, and I say so often.  But it hasn't crossed the finish line just yet, and that's pretty much the consensus opinion across the industry at this point.   But I guess when it's your fortune on the line, you can get sensitive about such things.  

Here's the thread or at least a link to the end of it, as currently displayed. I better get a screen shot just in case.

What won't be evident as the discussion continues is that he simply barred me from further posts, and didn't bother to announce that fact to others. Clever way to win an argument... or at least get the last word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment